Friday, March 18, 2011

Hungry

It seems so simple, but being hungry is an all encompassing situation. It is hard to think, concentrate or do basically anything when you desperately need a few calories to keep you moving.
Today I found myself without my trusty bag of groceries, on the other side of the world with no hope of redeeming myself.

For those of you who aren't New Yorkers, I was on the Upper East Side. I live on the Westside, which makes anything east of 5th avenue a foreign country. I really have no clue when I'm there. Groceries, deli's, restaurants, I haven't the slightest. If I didn't have a smart phone I am certain I would never find my way out.

So, every day I've found myself tossing random things into a plastic sack and dragging it where ever I go. Lately its been random cheeses (something I will talk about more very soon), bread and the occasional vegetable. Not terribly balanced, but it curbs the pangs, and gives me the energy to carry out my day.

As I ran off to job #3 today I left the bag behind. I left my dinner. Any other day that wouldn't have phased me. There is a sandwich shop around every corner. All I would need to do is run there and pick something up. Alas, I could not. For once, my stubbornness and discipline kicked in and I persevered.

My lunch of instant oatmeal wasn't cutting it, and I have to admit, I did get a little hazy as I wandered across the street to the pharmacy for a healthy snack. I found some dried fruit and consumed it in about the same amount of time it took me to purchase it.

I never imagine people who can't eat. People who have nothing, with no money to buy food, or no food to even buy.

I go hungry on principle, because I'm busy and stubborn. There are many people in this world that don't have the abundance of choice that I do. I am thankful of my choice, and even more thankful for the choice today of being hungry.


No comments:

Post a Comment