Sunday, March 27, 2011

Exhausted

Dealing with 14 hour days is rough. When they become longer than that, and I'm not getting a break at all...then it gets to be a test of will and really how much adrenaline I can manifest to stay awake.

I heartily apologize for being absent this week, but it has been for good reason...Giant stuffed animals. Now you may think to yourself "How fun?" "How cool is that job?" I know. When I really think about it, it is a pretty fantastic job. This week I got to make a 9 ft alligator, a crab, a snail, a turtle and five rocks. As fun as it is to watch them take shape....It is seriously a lot of work. Just one of these lovely fellows takes upwards of 30 hours to create, not including the epic amounts of time they take to make the pattern before I can begin creating them.


If this was my only job? Then I would be fine. But add to that finishing up wigs for an opera and beginning the designs for 2 plays, in my free time. I still have a full time job of running a costume shop and teaching 1 1/2 classes. So this week, 14 hour days quickly turned into 16 hour days...which even expanded to a 19 hour day as one of my stitchers and I frantically sewed leg fat onto an alligator. 19 hours is fine, if you go home and sleep...but a mere 4 hours later I was back at work for yet another 12 hours to finish a giant crab.

If you are still reading, I can guess that I've exhausted you as well.

So, What has this meant for my food intake in the last week?
First, somehow, by a will greater than my own, I was still able to eat quasi-cooked/grocery store meals every single day. I only ate out twice, but both were with friends, and fairly cost effective. Thanks to a conversation with my brother, I discovered microwavable pasta dishes, that make eating at my office immensely easier. I did find myself one day eating tortilla chips and cottage cheese for lunch....but we're not going to talk about that one...

I got a glorious 8 hours of sleep last night, and I am officially exhausted. My body said enough. So I'm sitting in my chair and blogging instead of the 20 other things I should be doing. This is good. I need a day of less. Everyone does. And now I will go for some Prosecco:) Perfect.


2 comments:

  1. Perfect. LOVE YOU, friend. Get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been able to figure out how you get as much done as you do. You're like the Energizer Bunny or something.

    Love the pics of the animals!

    And as far as tortilla chips and cottage cheese, sounds like a balanced meal to me!

    ReplyDelete