Thursday, March 10, 2011

40 days of creative eating

I don't cook. I can cook, but with long work hours and a tiny NY kitchen I find myself at the corner ordering a sandwich or a bagel at least 2 meals out of 3 per day. Its great. Easy, simple, and feels so luxurious. At this point in my life I can definitely afford this, but should I afford it? Maybe not. Well, definitely not. Recently I started imagining what I'm eating away each day. A trip to a crazy foreign country? A visit with family in MN? A great new purse or pair of shoes?

So for Lent this year I'm giving up take out. I will still eat meals out with friends, but no more will I casually wander to a cafeteria or fast food restaurant and watch them put my food together. I will put it together myself and hopefully my body and my pocketbook will thank me for it.

This morning I was craving that hot crispy bagel, but instead I went for the yogurt that was almost expired in my fridge. Good choice. Still hungry, but the frugalista in me is jumping up for joy.

Its going to take a lot of thought and planning to make this work; creative choices that are practical for my epic work schedule as well as interesting enough to compete with diversity of 9th ave restaurants.

Lunch today is tacos and rice pudding. Tomorrow? who knows. I hope I will be inspired, or I'm going to get really hungry. Got suggestions? I'd be grateful to hear them...

Happy Lent everybody!

4 comments:

  1. Becky, I love your fabulous life. :) Your posts on here are so funny! I hope it ends up to be a rewarding experience and draws you closer to God. Once I had a family I pretty much had no choice but to cook... I know we have totally different lives... but the thing that's helped me the most (and might help you) is planning weekly (and eventually monthly) menus. Then at least you don't have to think about it -- the food is there, you just have to cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, you are awesome. Seriously awesome!

    And, for that breakfast burrito you've been wanting.... Try making sweet potato burritos. You can make them the night before and heat them up in the morning (or eat them cold - which I've done numerous times).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kati, I love the idea of planning meals! Sometimes it just has to be in smaller increments than I'd like in order to work with my crazy schedule and my very tiny refrigerator.

    And Sarah....sweet potato burritos sound so tasty. I shall try it when I finally get breakfast underwraps:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving this, Becky! I need a dose of inspiration to start cooking again. It's been a while.

    ReplyDelete